Author Topic: What Do YOUR Tags Look LIke?  (Read 3812 times)

Offline jewelrybyjanelle50

• View Profile
What Do YOUR Tags Look LIke?
« on: October 28, 2010, 12:34:23 PM »
I was recently told that my tags on my items look like a materials list. Well, what else are they supposed to look like?

I mean, how do you describe something using only so many words just over and over again? Descriptive words like bling, sparkle, and glitz only go so far, so to speak. I would think that if I made something out of peach aventurine, that that should be one of the tags so it can be searched by that.

I guess I am just stumped at how to tag some items. Can someone help by listing some of YOUR tags? Or take a look at mine for me, and see what else I could be using?

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: What Do YOUR Tags Look LIke?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 01:51:50 PM »
The nature of my stuff is different, but my tags are some of the main ingredients, plus:

natural
handmade
handcrafted
scent (whatever EO we used)
color (whatever color it might be, if any)

For yours, wood, color, handmade, natural, handcrafted, elegant, fancy, casual...

Offline PennyFarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 06:33:13 PM »
I agree with Larissa, if you were looking for one of your hand made wooden cuffs
 you'd search handmade + wood/ timber/species +cuff/bangle

more technical timber loving customers would know the kind of wood they adore and might choose words like burl, jarrah, softwood(?)

you could choose words to describe the feel like simple or elegant or versatile- like you can wear it anywhere

definately organic, natural, how about durable? or reclaimed /recycled/green design

hope this helps

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Just My Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:16:35 PM »
Looking at the keywords people use to find your stuff using Google Analytics is a huge eye-opener! I would recommend setting that up, if you haven't already. (The link for you to hit up would be https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/jewelrybyjanelle50/analytics  ).

As far as keywords for your items....hmm......Well, you have to think of simple things people look for. Your earrings, for example, are brown and oval. Some might call them geometric. They are flat. They are shiny and smooth. They also have gold on them. They are beautiful, elegant, rich-looking. You definitely want to note what kind of wood they are, and adding the hafteam tag and your shop name are a smart idea as well. Those are all things I think of when looking at your madrone burl earrings.

Now, looking at your tags, I see that you do have most of that stuff on there. And I can understand why someone said your list looked like a materials list--I have no idea what leverbacks are, and the majority of people searching on Etsy would never use that term. When people search for jump rings, they are usually looking for supplies. Exotic wood is a GREAT tag to use. If all else fails, I know people still like to look up the term "unique". ;)

And, finally, you can always refer to the wonderful list compiled on the Etsy blog! http://www.etsy.com/storque/how-to/seller-how-to-tag-o-rama-with-descriptive-keywords-5474/

Hope that helps. ;D Tagging is hard!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:29:50 PM by CraftedRoots »

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 12:36:06 AM »
Thanks everyone, for your input, it is much appreciated.

Crafted, I will check out those links. I thought I had a pretty good handle on tags unitl I posted in the Etsy forum yesterday. It would help if my spelling errors weren't there... ;D I wear glasses, but still can't see from where I sit from the computer.  :o

I would also search earrings by using the word leverback, because that is all I personally would buy. It rules out french hooks!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 12:40:18 AM »
I DO have google analytics set up, but I don't use it that often because other than where my traffic comes from, I don't understnd it. How do I search what tags people use to find my stuff?

There used to be a link on my Etsy page to get to google analytics, now it's gone. Anyone know where they put it now?

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Just My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 01:34:07 PM »
Etsy has hidden the link somewhere....I couldn't find it the other day myself. I had to do a Google search to find the link in Etsy. :-\

So look up Google Analytics on Google and login from there. When you log in, right next to www.etsy.com, you'll see "View report". Click on that. On the next page, at the bottom, is a pie graph. Click underneath where it says "view report". On the bottom right of the next page, you'll see a list of "keywords". It's also interesting to see what websites led people to your Etsy. You can set up your HAF Shop on Analytics, too.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »
-Crafted-These are the keywords (I found them btw) that brought lookers to my shop.

1. janelle wood jewelry   
2. dragonseekers etsy 
3. bell flower earrings 
4. "handmade french beaded flowers accessorys and jewelry 
5. mexican sterling cross pendants 
6. pewter owl charm 
7. round wood pieces 

7 isn't very many, so I guess I have some work cut out for me. 

And can someone tell me what the heck a dragonseeker is?  ;D :-\

That etsy tag word list was more of an eye opener than anything.

How did Bohemian become a style, and what the heck is it? I did a search on Etsy for bohemian, and I came up with a wide variety of stuff.

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Just My Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 04:51:06 PM »
Bohemian is just another word for hobo chic. ;D IMHO. Etsy doesn't give a very good example, since, of course, people abuse tags just to get buyers to see the seller's items. Check out this website for a guide on Bohemian style: http://www.thechicfashionista.com/bohemian-fashion-style.html

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 07:10:58 PM »
I see bohemian as like the 2010 version of hippies.  Wood jewelry would be perfect for that sort of thing, so definitely add that tag.  Hadn't thought of it.

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Just My Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 07:48:52 PM »
I see bohemian as like the 2010 version of hippies.  Wood jewelry would be perfect for that sort of thing, so definitely add that tag.  Hadn't thought of it.

Hmm, well put!

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 12:08:25 AM »
Thank you ladies, for explaining "bohemian" for me. And the link helped too.

Now, if I find another fashion style that I am unsure of what it is, I may be back...with more questions... ;D

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Just My Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 09:48:42 PM »
I can't believe I forgot about this! It still uses Google Analytics, but is WAY more helpful, because it tells you what item got found using which tags:

http://www.craftopolis.com/#com=tr

Offline PennyFarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 04:21:18 AM »
I can't believe I forgot about this! It still uses Google Analytics, but is WAY more helpful, because it tells you what item got found using which tags:

http://www.craftopolis.com/#com=tr

It looks good but I have to have analytics to use it, and I just didnt really get that.