Author Topic: Feature Yourself on the HAFblog  (Read 76104 times)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Feature Yourself on the HAFblog
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:27:56 PM »
Here goes I'm sticking my neck out and my wife is shaking her head!
and saying.....
What is he doing now?

Well in short I've opened the blog so that all of our members can post an article about themselves and promote their shop, talents, treasures, etc. Articles having to do handmade, shops, how to, tutorials, etc. I don't want to hear about your cat you can write about that on your own blog.

Why am I doing this?

There's a couple of reasons..
1) We have a few editors over the last year who have tried very hard to feature artists and get content to help promote handmade and individual artists. I want to give them a break to a degree although hopefully they will help approve articles and features.
2) The other reason and main reason is there are so many sites out there that people pay to be featured and to be honest I don't agree with that. I'm not going to mention any sites names but they charge a lot in my opinion for someone to give them an article to feature their shop for a few weeks and the results aren't very good. We just had a thread recently on the forum about this. Between the forum and blog we get more than 10 times the traffic than the site I'm speaking of and I know this because I advertise on it.

So with all of that said I think it is important to give this service to our members for free. When I say members, just to be more specific, I mean everyone who is on the forum. This isn't a shop, team or guild specific thing, it is forum wide. I don't care where you sell your work you are welcome to feature yourself on the blog. We are here to support handmade and we are going to do it, if it kills me....

wife shaking her head again......

So how does it work.
You need to register for the blog, if you have already registered then just login.
Click HERE to register of login.

Once logged in click post and hit add new. Write your post and hit submit for moderation. That's it. You will receive an email when your post is published.

Post criteria
1) Make it interesting add at least a couple of paragraphs
2) Add pictures 1-3 or so, people like pictures
3) Add links to your shop or blog or whatever you are promoting
4) Be considerate, I'm offering a free service and  do not want to be taken advantage of.
5)check your work!!!!!! you have permission to preview your post, check the links!!!! If it doesn't work fix it! I am not going to fix a whole bunch of blog posts, I do not have time to do this. If you have a blog you should know what to do.
6) Do not change the title permalink, the software does this all by itself, If you try to link the title to your shop or blog, I will delete the post. I can't stand it when people link the title of a blog post to another site. It is inconsiderate and misleading to the reader. Steps off soapbox...

As I said above you will receive an email when your post has been approved. Please do not email me or pm me and say when will my post be approved?

We will space out the posts so that the site doesn't move to fast. So I can't tell you how soon your post will be approved, it depends on how many people take advantage of this free service. It may be a couple of hours or a couple of days.

If you need help writing your post please go here first http://codex.wordpress.org/Writing_Posts and READ!
If you have any problems please do not email me. Post it here and I or someone will help. Please remember that the forum is a community and we are here to help each other. I get so many emails from people asking me questions about things that many of people on the forum would love to help. So post your questions here.

Now that the rules are laid out go post, promote yourself and get some sales!

Please post and suggestions you may have in this thread

Thanks much, and I hope every one has fun with this.
Andrew 8)

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
Re: Feature Yourself on the HAFblog
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:57:45 PM »
lololo well, I can just see Kimberly shaking her head, and I sure don't want this to kill you supporting and promoting handmade - I'll certainly try to help with this. 
Wordpress is a bit different than blogspot - and I'll probably have to review it a bit myself, but I'll certainly help out with questions too.
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 02:32:01 PM »
Hey Larissa!  Put up your fizzy video with a short write up!

paradisepurls

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 03:35:52 PM »
wow! very cool, andrew!  I'll try not to say anything embarrassing when I post. ha! jk!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 04:58:32 PM »
Larissa's is already published! Go girl ;D

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 06:11:58 PM »
Hey, it was fun once I figured out where the advanced editing (rather than the quick editing) was!  I'm excited to see if we get a spike in hits on google analytics.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 07:23:03 PM »
Hey, it was fun once I figured out where the advanced editing (rather than the quick editing) was!  I'm excited to see if we get a spike in hits on google analytics.

Good point Larissa.
When you log in you will see Quick Press on the right hand side. That is not what you want. Look on the left and click or hover over post and click add new.
Thanks and glad to see you jump in on this. I think this will work ok, I already have a couple of volunteers to help with approving posts.

So come on guys and jump in.

JewelrybyNaLa

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 08:19:08 PM »
Thanks for this offer Andrew, and anytime you want to write something up and stick it on my blog, you have an open invitation, but ... Word Press hates me!  :'(

I attempted to leave you an article, but I was definitely a fish out of water on your blog. First I couldn't see my photos (they were just that teeny little white box instead of the actual photos), then I couldn't submit the article for your approval ...

Don't worry, if it didn't take, we'll just chalk it up to another thing I couldn't figure out. Nothin' new there.  ;D

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 08:33:39 PM »
Thanks for this offer Andrew, and anytime you want to write something up and stick it on my blog, you have an open invitation, but ... Word Press hates me!  :'(

I attempted to leave you an article, but I was definitely a fish out of water on your blog. First I couldn't see my photos (they were just that teeny little white box instead of the actual photos), then I couldn't submit the article for your approval ...

Don't worry, if it didn't take, we'll just chalk it up to another thing I couldn't figure out. Nothin' new there.  ;D

Nala you have a great start. To upload a picture on the post page right under the title you will see Upload/Insert right next to that there is an icon that says add image click that and you should be able to upload an image fine. I takes a little getting used to, especially for bloggers. But wordpress is the best blogging software hands down in my humble opinion. Any way don't give up I love the text and if you get into a bind you can ask me lisianblue of dreamriverdesigns fo help.

Plus you have been working you but off for the forum and team and you deserve a feature. ;D

JewelrybyNaLa

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 08:37:55 PM »
Now ya did it! Now you're nicer than me, too! What's up with you people???  :o

I'll try the photo thingy again, but if it doesn't work don't worry about it, it's on the scrap heap.

buddingcreations

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 08:41:46 PM »
I just signed up and submitted mine for review. I forgot to add my shop url on the first sumbission so i added it and sent it again. I hope i did that right if not my apologizes this is great what you are doing and i really hope it catches on. Thanks!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 08:43:50 PM »
Now ya did it! Now you're nicer than me, too! What's up with you people???  :o

I'll try the photo thingy again, but if it doesn't work don't worry about it, it's on the scrap heap.

Upload the photos here and I'll put them up. You give up to easy. Don't make me come after you. I'm not as nice as you think :police: