Author Topic: A Short History Lesson on HAF  (Read 18256 times)

Offline MoKaPottery

• Handmade ceramics by Mo and Kath Gibson-Kelly
    • View Profile
    • MoKa Pottery
Re: A Short History Lesson on HAF
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »
Thanks for bumping this thread.  It makes great reading.  I'm glad to be part of it.
x

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
Thanks for bumping this thread.  It makes great reading.  I'm glad to be part of it.
x

I should probably update again soon as so much has happened, but at least you got to see our very humble beginnings!

JanFoselliDesigns

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2012, 05:14:30 AM »
Thanks for sharing this story!  This seems like a fantastic site and you both have worked real hard to bring it to the rest of us!  Thanks :)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2012, 08:23:06 AM »
Thanks for sharing this story!  This seems like a fantastic site and you both have worked real hard to bring it to the rest of us!  Thanks :)

Welcome! It IS a fantastic site and will continue to grow! Andrew and Kimberly are THE best!

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »
Humble beginnings maybe Kim, but it is the attitude and the heart you and Andrew have for handmade and the people who create it that makes this site what it is.  And of course all the hours and hours and hours of hard work you both put into it.  Plus you have to put up with people threatening to put your feet to the fire and driving down to smack you.  But we love you for what you have done and we will always be here, I know that I will and I am forever grateful for this site.

Thanks to Andrew and Kim most.
But also thanks to all the wonderful people that I have met here who support each other and love each other.

Offline WyndwalkerCreations

• Today is a great day to be CREATIVE
    • View Profile
    • Wyndwalker Creations
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2012, 02:43:07 PM »
I am new here. Reading your story made me even happier that I opened a shop with you guys. :)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »
I am new here. Reading your story made me even happier that I opened a shop with you guys. :)

I'm so glad!  I love it when this thread pops back up because it reminds me of where we started and reminds me of where we want to go and how!

Gina

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2012, 11:41:58 PM »
I am basically still a newcomer and I enjoyed hearing how you started!
Thanks for taking the time to tell your wonderful story!

Sunworx

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 12:38:56 AM »
I agree with all the lovely comments made the other crafters above!! 

But I would also like to add that the new direction the site has taken is pretty damn awesome!! I have only been a memeber for a short period of time, but since i have been a memeber of HAF it has really grown with this latest major upgrade.

and saving the best until last....personally i would like to say that of all the handmade crafting communities i am signed up with, this is the most friendly, positive, helpful and above all the most "ACTIVE" of them all. Where the people really try and help each other. I don't know if it's because Americans by nature (as i believe most of you live in the US) are so positive, keen and helpful or that you are just a great group of people. I suspect its both  :-* But i think it really makes HAF the pinnacle of crafting communities!

I am glad to be involved!  8)

First, I don't know if American's are helpful by nature judging by so much negativity I am running into in real life lately.  And second, thank you!  We had a goal in mind when we started of a safe place to share your work and hang out with creative people and we seem to have attracted the best of the bunch!

You are right Kimberly, people have changed.  I recently read an article that was based upon philosophy, that attempted and succeeded in explaining why.  It was an intellectual slog to get through it.  It arrived at the obvious, greed and it's accompanying attributes are the problem.  It's all about me, not we.  Greed is now rationalized as acceptable, and our society has absorbed it's ingredients and reflects it ugliness.   :o

Your creation and operation of Handmade Artists suggests a different vision, one based upon greater sharing and cooperation.  You created a successful "WE" place.  That suggests that the values of you and Andrew and the people who reside here are on the forefront in the creation of a new American culture and economy.  This is where people with hearts and minds reside.  A widely decentralized voluntary association of persons who share your values is a much more sustainable and suitable place for those choosing a quality life. 

The two of you have done something very nice for the rest of us and I join in with the others in saying thank you.  :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:44:32 AM by Sunworx »

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 01:07:08 AM »
I just realized from Sam's description - HAF is a kibbutz!  Ha!

Offline myeuropeantouch

• Art is the most intense mode of individualism.
    • View Profile
    • https://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/Myeuropeantouch
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 06:54:30 AM »
but a loverly one..... ;) :-*

Sunworx

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 12:20:59 PM »
Thank you Monika, Larissa, and Lisa for your kind thoughts.  In Handmade Artists we uplift each other.  It's an oasis with a gentle updraft.  :)

Offline myeuropeantouch

• Art is the most intense mode of individualism.
    • View Profile
    • https://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/Myeuropeantouch
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2013, 10:28:40 PM »
I'm driftin, floatin.... :laugh: :laugh:

no really, well stated.... 8)

Sunworx

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2013, 01:57:16 AM »
I'm driftin, floatin.... :laugh: :laugh:

no really, well stated.... 8)

It's a little late now so driftin and floatin are good words...lol...I'm going to sleep by the fire on this cold night, cover up with my ndn blankets, and drift and float away....well stated...good night....