Author Topic: How many of you sell on Etsy?  (Read 7394 times)

Offline chandru

• View Profile
How many of you sell on Etsy?
« on: December 18, 2015, 05:55:27 AM »
Hi

I'm a new member here.. I am planning to start selling wall art (framed posters basically)...

I also work for a startup which caters to Etsy sellers for their social media needs...

I'd love to know how many of you folks are on Etsy?

Cheers!

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
Re: How many of you sell on Etsy?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 06:00:50 AM »
I used to sell there a while ago but left when they turned against those who sell unique handmade items in favor of the cheaper mass produced products.  They are no longer a handmade site, just another eBay.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 08:56:57 AM »
I have an account there, but it's been empty for years.

I avoid Etsy - even for purchases - because of their corporate policies.  I feel for the handmade artists who sell there, but I avoid buying from them as much as possible because I don't want Etsy to get any of my money.  I actually drove 40 minutes to a small craft fair to avoid buying from the artist on Etsy.  I'd rather spend my money on gas than give them a penny.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 09:02:59 AM »
They seem to have abandoned the whole idea behind  handmade and supporting handmade artisans.   Good for you Larissa!
I have a neglected store on Etsy...  (I think)  I haven't been there  in ages.....   since the sweat shop countries were welcomed.
They may have shut me down.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 01:11:51 PM »
I don't ever wish to become part of Etsy again, not even for a startup, forum, group whatever.....zero, zilch, nada interest on my part and you will find many like minded people here who are basically fed up.

Have a good day....(smile)

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 03:06:42 PM »
I once heard an angry person refer to them as  "Etsybay"   Has anyone heard that one?

www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 08:37:05 PM »
I once heard an angry person refer to them as  "Etsybay"   Has anyone heard that one?

YUP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 02:30:53 PM »
I have heard that too.

Like many others here, I once had a shop on Etsy and did rather well. But their major shift to allow reselling, etc. left a very sour taste in my mouth. I don't even shop there anymore. I try to patronize shops here and in my local area.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 08:24:25 PM »
My biggest gripe is that they have gotten  too much like big business.....     General Motors or ATT.  It's not cozy or fun anymore
Like a craft site should be.
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 04:16:26 PM »
Dear Chandru,

I had an ETSY shop, many years ago.  When the management team demonstrated their lack of ethics, I left.  Now, I will not buy or sell anything on ETSY.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 05:43:40 PM »
Who knows about shopify?   
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 11:22:20 PM »
I have three long abandoned shops on Etsy.  One for my jewelry, one for handmade supplies (this one really didn't last long), and one for vintage items.  I've considered re-opening the vintage one, but the others are going to stay dead apart from using it to buy supplies off of Etsy and the occasional other purchase.  In general, I avoid Etsy like the plague.

As an experiment, I just opened a Handmade Amazon store.  Not sure if I'm going to keep it (likely won't), but as the monthly fees are currently being waived on handmade stores until August 1st I thought I'd give it a go.  If I find I don't like it, then come August I'll close it.

Offline chandru

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 04:32:04 AM »
Hmm... quite a bad rap there.. Thanks to all of you for the inputs :)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately a lot of people have had really bad experiences at Etsy.  I didn't, but there's nothing I hate more than a liar, and Etsy corporate lied for years about not allowing mass produced crap - or even caring about it at all.  What they're doing to their handmade vendors is unconscionable, and I won't support them.  By buying on Etsy, some of my $ would go to corporate, and I don't want that.