Author Topic: Etsy  (Read 4411 times)

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
Etsy
« on: June 17, 2015, 12:11:59 PM »
First of all,  I have sense enough to know that I can't change Etsy,  or get them shut down.  So we can safely call this post major venting.   I finally  shut my store down having been  blocked  for several months for  a transgression  which I have completely forgotten.  I just don't get  why they are so vindictive  especially when they make money  from  sellers.   I have never been one to force myself into the mold of  another person or entity...   part of  being creative.  At least I thought so.    So  watch what you say on the E forum!   The Etsy police will get you.  And  it isn't necessary to use profanity to make them mad.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: Etsy
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 08:33:01 AM »
That has been an ongoing gripe there for years. I for one and so over them.  I did see them mentioned in a recent news story about not selling Confederate Flag merchandise. I wonder how well that will go since their track record is less than stellar.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 09:12:15 AM »
I suspect they might be jumping on the piety bandwagon to make  themselves look good.  Having been raised in the south I feel I know who the real wavers of the stars and bars are. When my eldest was 13 my sister gave him  as a joke  a confederate flag beach towel.  He put it on his wall and when he had his lights on at night  everyone who drove down the  4 lane behind us could see it.  We had a really nice African American  couple move in  so David marched upstairs and took it down  because he was afraid of hurting their feelings.  A few days later my new neighbor  came to the door  to see  what had happened to it.   when  I told her she said  "You tell him I said to put it back!  He has as much right  to have it up there  as I do to live here!"   He didn't  put it back  because of all the folks who might visit them.    If all of a  sudden after all these years  refusing to sell or fly the stars and bars will promote good feelings I am all for it.   God knows we need it.  I somehow think it's all about money. 
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:05:50 PM »
Alice,

I'm sorry, I'm really tired right now after a long week, weekend, day, and evening, but I honestly can't tell if your post was anti-stars & bars or pro, or exactly what you were trying to say there.  You sound angry, and that probably muddled the message.

For the record, since the region seems to matter, I'm from NJ and pro-ban, and see the flag as a racist symbol.  I *think* you're also pro-ban, but I'm not quite sure.

I can assure you that MsMarty is not advocating the flag, if that's what concerns you.  She's explaining that her son kept it down because of the implications and that she supports that and the promotion of good feelings over racist symbols, but is questioning specifically Etsy's motives behind banning its sale.  She's saying she doesn't think Etsy specifically is doing it for moral reasons, only financial.

Hopefully that clears something up, and hopefully I'm right about what I think your meaning was.

Offline myeuropeantouch

• Art is the most intense mode of individualism.
    • View Profile
    • https://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/Myeuropeantouch
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:12:34 AM »
Sorry, as a European I have to jump in here, Alice is angry.....and lets it out on some really harmless, sweet people.

Has anyone ever thought about the fact that this is over, it was 50 years ago, that the media has politicized this and made it about the flag instead of the atrocious 9 murders.....the murders should upset everyone not a flag, which was a symbol of the Armed Forces and not a state flag. Come on educate yourselves....

I always thought politics and religion should stay out of here....but Alice made it not a nice place to be. None of us is racist here, Alice made it so....

Offline myeuropeantouch

• Art is the most intense mode of individualism.
    • View Profile
    • https://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/Myeuropeantouch
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 05:22:04 AM »
OK I HAVE LOTS  OF REASONS TO GET OUT OF THIS  wasteland of a website ---- hello the whole forum seems to be about same 5 people but there is nothing NOTHING more than this post that makes me want outta here... of those 5 or 6 people who post here- sorry but I cannot excuse attitudes because of AGE or localities behind the Mason Dixon line---

You live in Canada, does that give you the right to even meddle.....about America's past....

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 05:46:25 AM »
This discussion has gone a little weird for me. They always say, don't talk about politics or religion, we'll this is why. I really don't care if people talk about that stuff, we do not want to shut people down for their opinions, however these type of discussions never end well.
As far as etsy goes, they are who they are. We left in 2009 and haven't participated since. Yes I've voiced my opinions about it over the years, however etsy really means nothing to me. They can do whatever they want, it is there site, any person on the site can stay or leave, up to you.

I think everyone here on this site just needs to be careful and considerate with their words. Their is a diversity of people here from various places, we've all had different experiences in life and need to respect others as well.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 07:40:27 AM »
Weird is not the word.....

OK, Etsy, not my favorite place for a ton of personal reasons from the past.  We were one of the original sellers and we left for our own reasons when things started going in a direction we did not like.

Stars and Bars....again, my own personal feelings on the issue and I agree that the flag has racist connotations and should not be flown on public buildings but if someone chooses to own one then that is their own right.

As far, Alice, as this "wasteland of a website," again, you are entitled to your opinion and you are welcome to not continue to part of it. You can delete your account and not revisit and/or post if you don't like the people here or what is being said....again, that is your right.  If you do chose to visit and/or post, then keep it respectful so that we don't have to step in and monitor since that is NOT what we want to do.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 07:54:02 AM »
Kim, I feel the same way.  It's not "just a symbol" because all symbols are important as speech.  Just because WWII ended 25 years before I was born, for instance, doesn't mean my heart doesn't skip and my stomach lurch every time I see a swastika.  It still has a lot of effect.

But yeah, as someone pro-1st Amendment, I agree that any individual has the right to "speak" in any way he sees fit (within certain legal parameters and limitations, of course), but that hate speech certainly shouldn't be advocated by government agencies.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 09:31:38 AM »
Kim, I feel the same way.  It's not "just a symbol" because all symbols are important as speech.  Just because WWII ended 25 years before I was born, for instance, doesn't mean my heart doesn't skip and my stomach lurch every time I see a swastika.  It still has a lot of effect.

But yeah, as someone pro-1st Amendment, I agree that any individual has the right to "speak" in any way he sees fit (within certain legal parameters and limitations, of course), but that hate speech certainly shouldn't be advocated by government agencies.

Well said....That flag is part of our country's history, a very important part I might add, but government agencies should not be the ones to fly it.  I also understand the swastika feelings, but again, it is part of history.  In all honesty, I actually own quite a bit of Nazi memorabilia because my grandmother lived in Vienna during the war and came to this country as a war bride in 1944.  She was forced to work in a Nazi factory and I still have her pins and such that she was required to wear.   While she had to do what she had to do to stay alive, at my great grandmother's funeral, we were shocked to see a number of Jewish families appear and were even given a beautiful Star of David necklace which I still have as a thank you for her help during the war.  We found out that she had been sneaking food and supplies, stolen from the Nazi stash, into the ghetto as well as moving a number of children around the city into Christian homes.  She once put my cousin and I into the box built into the floor under her bed in an effort to show us what these families went through....and it was terrifying even though we were in no danger!  I don't display them but do keep them safe as part of my family history.

I guess my thought on the flag is the same.  If your family heritage is deeply entrenched in the south and you trace your heritage to pre-Civil war and keep a flag as part of that history that is up to you.  If you chose to fly it as your current belief then it is also up to you....but the government needs to walk a different line.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 09:56:02 AM »
Symbols do say a lot but as a person that comes from a very proud military background I firmly believe that my family fought for the right of all Americans to believe the way they want and that, unfortunately includes bigots and racists.  While I would never fly that flag because of what it represents, I will fight for the right of those that want to.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 10:26:18 AM »
Kimberly, those who can step back and think realize that  there's a WORLD of difference between those who keep such items for their historical value and those who are invested in them as a symbol of their current opinion in the here and now.  You're the perfect example.  Heck, your grandmother is the perfect example.  She kept that memorabilia... all the while risking her own life on behalf of the lives of MY grandparents.  Obviously, her hanging onto that stuff, you hanging onto that stuff, is not at all evidential of any sort of bigotry on the part of you or your family.

Those items belong in museums, absolutely, and in people's historical collections, absolutely.  We should never forget, whitewash, or sweep them under the rug.  They should never just disappear.

They do not belong as active symbols (which, by the way, are not "more" than speech, they ARE speech) in a government arena, where they will represent governmental opinion and stance.  The government, any government in the United States, should not and cannot advocate racism or hatred against any group.

They ARE valid forms of speech for individuals, but of course I'm then entitled to my opinion of those particular individuals who adhere to the beliefs connected to those symbols, and I can tell you my opinion is far from positive.  If you chose to fly the Nazi flag because you believed in its message, I'd have a very different opinion of you, and I'm sure we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

On the other hand, as an attorney and a staunch proponent of the 1st Amendment, I'd fight for the right of the KKK to broadcast its message... while at the same time hating and speaking out against that very message.  It's a matter of being able to separate the one issue from the other.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 02:39:19 PM »
ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.........  Although this thread is an interesting read, what happened to the topic...  Etsy?

I'm with Larissa on the First Amendment; not only does it guarantee free speech for everyone, it also guarantees my right to not listen!

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 03:25:45 PM »
Are you still here,  sewdiff?   
As  a person raised in the south by a mother who  did not permit ill treatment of anyone I have  very mixed feelings about the symbols.   It is the attitude in the hearts of some people that is troublesome to me.  We need to  forget the pictures and symbols and pictures and look across the table  or down the street  and remember before we pop off our mouths  there is a person  with pretty much the same feelings,  hopes and dreams as we have.  A paraphrase of the Golden Rule....    Treat others the way you want to be treated.
I was taught not to say anything  to or about another person that I wouldn't want them  to say to or about  me.
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 08:09:41 PM »
You can shove your anger in your shovin' place,
sweetie!  I won't be responding to you again. 
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com