Author Topic: Canvas Painting  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Canvas Painting
« on: May 11, 2015, 12:43:40 AM »
I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but I think I did... the new restaurant where I'm face painting once a month is owned by a couple with three kids.  The husband really was running the place & the wife there when she wasn't at her day job.  I love these people and we've already become friends.

Well anyway, the wife asked if I could teach canvas painting, which is really hot right now, and do it at their daughter's 12th birthday next weekend.  I said sure & asked what her favorite animal was.  The kid was so enamored with the fact that E & I are beekeepers, that she wanted me to teach them a honeybee!  A girlie honeybee, and her favorite color is blue.

So I was all set to do it; her mom was buying all the supplies for everyone, and I was just going to show up & teach.  And I figured photos from this would be great; it'd open up a whole new income stream for me, a whole new offering with party entertainment to go along with my face painting.

Then she told me she quit her job - it was sudden, but a long time coming, the culmination of a lot of abuse in an industry that finally made her say "enough."  So that's great, but now she can't afford the party, so that's off.  She told me her daughter's reaction (12 years old, mind you) was, "That's OK, mom.  I have lots of birthdays to celebrate, but you need to be happy too, and you weren't there.  How awesome is this kid?

So yesterday I bought an easel and canvas (I haven't had a real easel since my mom threw mine away years ago & I've been angry about it ever since) on a crazy sale at Michael's, and tonight I painted her the girlie honeybee with a blue background that I'd designed for her in my head.  Of course, I'm also using it as advertising for the new party service, but I'm giving her the painting as a birthday present since she didn't get to do it herself.

I think it came out pretty cute!  Eric loves it.

Oh, and this is the writeup on my website:  http://njfacepainter.com/en/top/njfacepainterservices/

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: Canvas Painting
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 01:17:41 PM »
Love the bee!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 11:56:03 PM »
Thanks!  I did another tonight, this elephant.  The step-by-steps are posted on my face painting site to advertise my teaching services for parties, and the finished canvas will either be purchased by my coworker or listed in Fabric of my Mind tomorrow.  :)

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:19:56 AM »
they are darling, Larissa  :)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:51:09 AM »
Thanks so much!  I see issues with the composition of the bee painting but it's cute & I think she'll like it, so that's good.  I'm actually really happy with the elephant.  Eric loves both.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 09:37:18 AM »
Love them! Shard of course :D

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 09:51:53 AM »
Thanks!

Unfortunately (fortunately?) my coworker wants to buy the elephant, so I can't list it.  I guess I need to buy more canvases!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »
The elephant is super cute too. And artists are ALWAYS their own WORST critic. Just accept them for what they are.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 02:59:27 PM »
It's true.  Very true.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 11:17:13 PM »
Is it really egomaniacal if looking at one of my own paintings makes me smile?  Every time I look at the elephant painting or even a photo of it, I get a grin.

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 01:01:16 AM »
If your works do not make you smile, don't show them, throw them away.  Both are wonderful.
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 07:02:40 AM »
Is it really egomaniacal if looking at one of my own paintings makes me smile?  Every time I look at the elephant painting or even a photo of it, I get a grin.
Absolutely NOT!