Author Topic: Need your help : Keep or discontinue?  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Kirameku

• View Profile
    • Kirameku - Funky, sparkling and affordable jewlery & artwork
Need your help : Keep or discontinue?
« on: May 10, 2015, 08:17:36 PM »
Good evening everyone! :)

I hope you all enjoyed a beautiful day with your mums! :)

To make a long story short, I have this Mother of Pearl Earrings collection that I'm wondering what to do with. It hasn't been quite popular online, but it was quite the opposite at my craft shows. I have sold around 30 pairs of these pretties within the last two years. My supplies are almost all out and I'm puzzled between re-ordering some MOP beads and keeping the collection or if I should just put it aside and create a new line.
What do you guys think?

Here is the earrings in question. Thank you so much for your help! :)
And happy mothers day! :)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: Need your help : Keep or discontinue?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 12:16:10 AM »
They're really pretty, but it comes down to a numbers game.  You need to decide whether you NEED to sell them online to make them worthwhile for you, or are the in-person sales enough.  How do sales of these earrings at shows compare to sales of your other items.  If they're *better* in person than online, but everything else is still a better seller, then it may be time to give them up.  If they're some of your top sellers at shows, though, and you're going to do enough shows in a year to make it worthwhile, then keep 'em in your repertoire.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 02:21:57 PM »
They're really pretty, but it comes down to a numbers game.  You need to decide whether you NEED to sell them online to make them worthwhile for you, or are the in-person sales enough.  How do sales of these earrings at shows compare to sales of your other items.  If they're *better* in person than online, but everything else is still a better seller, then it may be time to give them up.  If they're some of your top sellers at shows, though, and you're going to do enough shows in a year to make it worthwhile, then keep 'em in your repertoire.

Yeah, what she said.  :-[

Offline Kirameku

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 05:54:23 PM »
Thank you so much ladies! :)
Well, it is true that at a show they do pretty well, as well as with my Swarovski earrings... Guess I'll go back to my sold listings at my shows and compare the numbers. Thank you buckets! :)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 07:43:18 AM »
Agreed with Larissa.  They are pretty, but I can see how MOP would do better in person where people can actually see the colors better than they can online.  Guess it comes down to if you do enough shows to justify keeping them.  Since I stopped doing shows, I have eliminated those types of items but will bring them back if I go back to in person sales again.

Offline Kirameku

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 09:21:19 PM »
Thank you so much Kimberly! That is a great point! :)
I'm sorry to hear you had to stop doing shows, I  hope all is going well :(

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 08:27:01 AM »
Thank you so much Kimberly! That is a great point! :)
I'm sorry to hear you had to stop doing shows, I  hope all is going well :(

It is all good, just schedule with the kids and our recent move ment that I had to stop and think about how best to spend my time.  I loved a lot of things about shows, but running around every weekend and missing out on the boys sports and family time is just not worth it to me.  I may go back eventually and saved my entire show set up complete with tables, tents, weights, displays, etc. just in case.

Offline Kirameku

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 05:03:24 PM »
Kimberly, family time is so precious! This is the best excuse to stop doing shows! ;P
Have a lovely weekend with your family dear! :D

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 10:04:11 PM »
Good for you Kimberly!    I am glad I spent time with my boys....They won't ever be  toddlers, schoolagers or teens again.  If you miss it  it is just missed.  The craft shows,  dishes,  laundry  will all wait  but the kids won't.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline bellatobey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 10:05:36 PM »
So what was your decision? Did you sell your Mother of Pearl Earrings collection? If not and you're still contemplating about it, all I can say is follow what your heart tells you. It's always hard to sell something that has been a huge part of your life, just like the diamond ring I bought from Galicia Jewelers, which was with me for years. I still have it because I really just couldn't let go.

Offline Kirameku

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 11:26:01 AM »
Bellatobey,
I think it's a collection that I will keep, although right now I am more looking for a new cristal earring collection for now to keep things new and fresh in my store. There are some of the MOP that I will discontinue and focus on the shapes that sold the most out of the 4 MOP options I had.
Thanks for stopping by :)