Author Topic: Bad manners  (Read 33133 times)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Bad manners
« on: March 28, 2015, 11:58:50 AM »
As some of you who visit the forums know, I have taken it upon myself to promote most shops here and I always try to write something positive about each shop. I've griped about some stuff before, but this really takes the cake. AS I was going through the shops doing my thing today, one shop had written in their announcement  that they would be closing their shop soon here because of no sales, but they are doing better in their Etsy shop. REALLY? Why would you say such a thing in your announcement? I've never heard of this shop before, I don't think they've ever been in the forum. It just seems highly unprofessional  to ME that someone would do that. I guess I really am old fashioned about such things like manners. OKay, I'm done.

myeuropeantouch

Re: Bad manners
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 03:06:50 PM »
I totally AGREE  :police: :evil: >:(

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 05:03:51 PM »
Sounds like low class to me

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 09:45:52 PM »
Yeah, I agree too.  I would never.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 10:31:31 AM »
Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks this is really poor behavior.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 11:26:02 AM »
I just don't see the need to be insulting or snarky, y'know?  What's wrong with a simple, "I'll be closing my shop here, but you can still find me at ***"?

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 03:00:31 PM »
I just don't see the need to be insulting or snarky, y'know?  What's wrong with a simple, "I'll be closing my shop here, but you can still find me at ***"?

EXACTLY!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 01:04:31 PM »
I agree, but what are you going to do?  I'm starting to think that the entire world is becoming more tacky thanks to the internet and not having to say things in person but hiding behind a screen instead.  Oh well, on to the next thing I guess.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 02:06:14 PM »
Keyboard courage has definitely caused a decline in basic manners.  I've been seeing it since I first got online in 1992.  That, and grammar/spelling.  People just don't care.

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 02:13:27 PM »
 :police:

of course our grammar, manners, etc. have gone to hades in a handbag.  all we do is ROFL and other txt abbreviations.  ain't that write??? (tongue in cheek, laughing).  One must beg the question, did this person put in even one iota of the effort that was used in promoting the E..Y shop to attract customers to Handmade Artists?  I have been there (E..Y) and on A..Fire as well.  Both are well run corporate owned sites, both are interested in only making money, not in promoting handmade artistry.  That is why, both allow commercial resellers to sell through their sites.

All the above comments are correct, while I sell more custom and at local sales venue, this site is on my business cards, and I get a fair amount of custom work due to being able for customers to see what I make and then ask for a custom piece.  Latest was from Grand Forks, ND, where the customer went to HAS to see what I make, then asked for a specific stone (Peruvian Blue Opal).  Let us keep up the "skeer."  For the rest of you, that term came from Nathan Bedford Forrest, cavalry commander for Confederate forces.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 05:54:37 PM »
Hear...Hear....John.... ;) :)

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »
Just so ya know.....   I closed my  "you know where shop"  and  A.. fire...  et al   ....  I only have this one.   Fortunately my husband lets me eat  whether I sell anything or not so  it's not a matter  of income or lack thereof.  I feel very strongly about promoting handmade.... 
While I realize my stuff is not of the quality of  others here  I do know we need to support  each other and  artisans who work in their garages and spare bedrooms.  It's a matter of principle with me.  One day  I'll get off my duff and put some more stuff up  and this shop will go out on my cards which I have ordered.  Thanks  for  staying handmade.

www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 02:07:29 PM »
Just so ya know.....   I closed my  "you know where shop"  and  A.. fire...  et al   ....  I only have this one.   Fortunately my husband lets me eat  whether I sell anything or not so  it's not a matter  of income or lack thereof.  I feel very strongly about promoting handmade.... 
While I realize my stuff is not of the quality of  others here  I do know we need to support  each other and  artisans who work in their garages and spare bedrooms.  It's a matter of principle with me.  One day  I'll get off my duff and put some more stuff up  and this shop will go out on my cards which I have ordered.  Thanks  for  staying handmade.

Don't put yourself down MsMarty. I can say in all honesty that I have seen WAY worse. I love the bildana I bought from you. It is holding up great through many washings and the dryer too! I am finding that I am picking out more stuff from various shops that just irritates me. I don't know why, it just happens.  ::)

I agree with the comments about manners, spelling and all that going to hades in a handbag as John put it. I loved your pun too John! I
I guess I just needed to vent.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
Re: Insulting, snarky and other things
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 03:32:15 PM »
As a really old woman with eons of life experiences I can say to you...    open your eyes.    People  steal because they are thieves,  drink to excess because they are drunks  and they are rude and snarky because they are ill bred oafs.  Nothing is going to change.   On Internet  Scrabble Club there is a Noplay button which I use  quite often.  It enables me to be completely rid of rude people and it doesn't hurt them...  they can still play,  just not  with me.  This  has been an eye opener for me....   ALL crafters are not  nice, civilized people.  Just  don't let the "rudies"  bug you too much.  My mama used to tell me when I fussed about something  said on the playground...  "Marty,  you are not responsible for anyone's behavior but your own and I can't do anything about anyone's child but mine.  Now drop it! "  Now about the snarky one....   Is anyone going to the new store to shop?  (tongue in cheek)  We only hurt ourselves when we behave that way.

www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline byEmilie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 08:21:36 AM »
In this whole scenario of one site verses another, I've done well on Etsy. Ebay when they first started out was a blast. I've been selling on the internet for over 15 years. What I hope to accomplish here is to support a "true handmade site" that's going to take time to build just as etsy did. I know it's not going to happen in a day. However any sale that I get elsewhere will also know that I'm now here too. In time I'm sure this site will receive the kudos it deserves by staying true to their word as "handmade".

I believe etsy has hurt itself tremendously by allowing so called manufactured handmade and also their erotic mature content that is so called "art" has another word. Not saying any more on that subject but in all reality that more than anything wants me to but some distance from etsy. Most of my clientele I believe wouldn't want to associate either.

With that being said, I'm looking forward to more success for all of us here and where ever.