Author Topic: Outbound Links  (Read 26608 times)

Offline MarilynKelleyDesigns

• View Profile
    • Marilyn Kelley Designs
Outbound Links
« on: March 25, 2015, 05:45:46 AM »
My SEO on my website pushes for me to have more outbound links in my content. I understand the reasoning for this, but really hate to give people a reason to leave my site, once I get them there.  Can anyone tell me if outbound links, that open in a new window, are given as much value as those that don't??

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: Outbound Links
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 06:47:51 AM »
I believe so.  My husband is in IT & when he built my face painting site was sure to have them open in a new window or tab.

• View Profile
    • Marilyn Kelley Designs
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 07:15:57 AM »
Thanks, Larissa. I thought it wouldn't make any difference, but figuring out what search engines want is a daily battle.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 08:25:20 AM »
No kidding!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 05:59:11 PM »
If you ever figure out the master answers for SEO and links and such be sure to let us all know since the rules keep changing and I just can't seem to keep up with them.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:47:41 PM »
I talked to my husband about this tonight... I don't know who's handling your SEO (do you pay for a service?), but be very careful that your outbound links are all relevant.  There are actually very few on my face painting site - the links are to my blog, two facebook pages, and my twitter page, plus a page of a face painting company I did a step by step for, a link to my face & body art guild website, and a link to the Tribeca Film Festival where I'm the face painter.  That's it.  If you become a site Google sees as a link farm (too many irrelevant links), your ratings in search engines will tank.

What's much more important are incoming links.  Links to your site from other popular sites are key.

• View Profile
    • Marilyn Kelley Designs
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 05:31:13 AM »
Thanks for the info, Larissa.  So far, the only outbound links I've used are to my Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter. I do have a couple of Amazon links to books that are relative to art and quilting. Wondering if I should remove those. I've used a couple of outbound links in my blog posts, but only to relevant info about my post.  As for incoming links, I'm probably sadly short on those with the exception of links from my own sites, such as FB, Twitter, G+, etc.

I'm using Yoast SEO. They seem to be one of the top SEO companies from what I can find.  SEO is a nightmare when you aren't sure of what you're doing!  :-\

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 07:46:50 AM »
All your links sound fine.  Just remember, as my husband put it, Google doesn't like it when you TRY for SEO.  They like everything to be legit & relevant.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 09:37:38 AM »
I did spend a good portion of last night adding "alt" tags to all the photos on my face painting site.  Once the web crawlers get a hold of it, my photos should come up a lot in searches.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
Larissa, what are "alt" tags?

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 09:29:46 PM »
Alt tags are literally alternate tags.  Web browsers are based on text.  The spiders crawling the web can't actually see your photos, colors, banners, or anything like that, they read your site, from beginning to end, in text.  So if your image is just called IMG002256.jpg, the spiders don't see it as anything useful.  But if you attach an alt tag to the image that says (in my case) "bear face painting," the spiders read it as "bear face painting," and it will show up in searches for a bear face painting, linked back to my site.  That puts my photos higher in searches, and drags the site with it to some extent.

The framework Eric used to build my face painting site makes it REALLY easy to add tags to the photos, and it names each photo.  If you go to www.njfacepainter.com, to any gallery page and scroll over the photos, you'll see what I mean.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »
Thanks Larissa, your site is great, (wish I had an IT person to help me to understand how to do these things) I'm struggling to try to set up a website to showcase all the different things we do, it'll probably take me a year to figure enough of it out... I still haven't learned how to add the little copyright thing at the bottom of pages :-\

Would naming/ labeling each picture before I up-load it accomplish the same thing as your alt tags?  I'm working on building a blog/gallery on wordpress that I then hope to be able to transform into another site to sell things/and display the things we have available at craft shows that people could contact us about if they'd like them listed...In the meantime I do have links to here that work :D

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 10:47:47 PM »
You know, I hadn't even noticed the copyright notice at the bottom.  That must be part of the framework, 'cause I've been updating my site this past week, but I haven't touched that.  It must be automatic.

• View Profile
    • Marilyn Kelley Designs
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 06:16:27 AM »
Bev, I have a wordpress site and when I upload pics to the website, it gives me the opportunity to add alt tags then.  I didn't do this when I first uploaded my pics, but then realized how important they were and have been going back in to each image and adding the alt tags. I use Yoast SEO and it's pretty good about showing what changes need to be made.

Would naming/ labeling each picture before I up-load it accomplish the same thing as your alt tags?  I'm working on building a blog/gallery on wordpress that I then hope to be able to transform into another site to sell things/and display the things we have available at craft shows that people could contact us about if they'd like them listed...In the meantime I do have links to here that work :D