Author Topic: Lasso Basket  (Read 3294 times)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
Lasso Basket
« on: March 20, 2015, 09:06:15 AM »
I found a bunch of baskets made out of old Lasso ropes at a craft fair and loved them!  The only problem was they were way out of my price range.  Instead I bought a few old ones and tried my hand at it and found the completed ones are worth every penny and then some!  These things require muscles to shape!  I did manage to get a very simple one done and have to say it didn't come out bad for a first shot.

myeuropeantouch

Re: Lasso Basket
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:29:38 AM »
How in the world......?
Kimberly, that's hard.....how did you keep the rope in line, glue in between? I mean that basket is not even crocked or leaning or ...well, you know....
Whoa....nice job! 8)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 12:23:30 PM »
Thank you!

It is actually not glue but you melt it with a soldering iron.  I had an old one that doesn't work for stained glass anymore because it is stuck on high which was perfect for melting the outer coating of the rope.  Other than that, a lot of muscle and cussing to get it into the shape I wanted.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 02:25:59 PM »
OMG, that's crazy!  Great result, but crazy process!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 05:53:05 PM »
 ;D That is fabulous!!! They would look really cute with potted flowers/plants. Obviously put in a plastic liner first.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 06:08:22 AM »
Thank you!

It is actually not glue but you melt it with a soldering iron.  I had an old one that doesn't work for stained glass anymore because it is stuck on high which was perfect for melting the outer coating of the rope.  Other than that, a lot of muscle and cussing to get it into the shape I wanted.

Would have like to be a mouse and hear that sailor cussing..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 07:13:23 AM »
Thank you!

Would have like to be a mouse and hear that sailor cussing..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I fully admit to being able to put a sailor to shame with my mouth.  I've gotten much better over the years, but when I am alone in my craft room and something isn't working right I just let it fly!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »
 :laugh: ;D :laugh: ;D :laugh: ;D :laugh: ;D

I find that hilarious...... ^-^