Author Topic: Welcome and some advice  (Read 10513 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: Welcome and some advice
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 10:50:31 AM »
I'd guess they're not handmade either.  On some, a ribbon & pin have been added.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 01:07:37 PM »
I'd guess they're not handmade either.  On some, a ribbon & pin have been added.

I have to agree.... :o

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 01:38:28 PM »

I have to agree.... :o

I thought that too, but I didn't want to say anything without evidence of some sort. Slipping through the cracks?

Offline MarilynKelleyDesigns

• View Profile
    • Marilyn Kelley Designs
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 05:09:10 AM »
Just thinking out loud. I'm wondering if some shop owners don't know who to make an avatar or banner. And lelt's face it, when you're starting out, you don't have money to buy them......or even know that there are people who create logos and banners.  When I started out on the internet many years ago, I didn't have a clue how to do those things. Maybe we could have a "welcoming committee" for new members to point them in the right direction as far as descriptions and we have a shop on HA (Helping Hands Graphic Design) that does graphics, banners, etc and her prices seem really resonable. Just throwing it out there..

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 05:20:42 AM »
I agree, there needs to be more help in regards to some areas. Do you know there is no description anywhere on how to make a highlight? Do you know how many times I have been asked to write it out for the newbees?
Do you know many of them don't even know they are called highlights here on this site instead of Treasures or collection?
Let's face it, people are a bit non literal when it comes to computer websites, and I don't care if it says right on top "forum" many don't know how to go about it.

I speak form my own experience when I signed on, I had to figure this out over time, as there are no directions per see on "how to's". There are existing members who are still posting in the wrong forum threads, so you tell me if there needs to be some work done here....
Just saying..... :-[ :) stepping down.....LOL
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:26:59 AM by myeuropeantouch »

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 09:03:23 AM »
I have no clue on how to make an avatar or a banner. The ones I am currently using I happened to win. Before that I bought them.

I do think having a threads that are just dedicated "how to" do stuff would be a good idea. With the revamp of the site including the forum, it's something to keep in mind.

Offline SamaritanJewelers

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 04:46:19 AM »
I have the avatar and soon I'll have my banner uploaded. I can't wait to try the Handmade Artists platform out. Looks great!

Frank

Offline NaturallyNickelFree

• View Profile
    • Naturally Nickel Free
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 09:27:54 AM »
As a prospective seller, I have to say that it is a little off-putting (word?) to look through the list of sellers (I do this sort of thing) and see all the blanks instead of avatars. It makes the place seem a little deserted. I've been aware of the site for a long time though, and appreciate the forums and would like it to be a top choice.

Maybe a general email could even go out to sellers who need avatars and banners? I think it may be the right approach to offer help - many may have no idea how. Having a couple of people who offer graphics as a business would really improve participation, too, I think.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:17:34 PM by NaturallyNickelFree »

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 09:42:55 AM »
As a prospective seller, I have to say that it is a little off-putting (word?) to look through the list of sellers (I do this sort of thing) and see all the blanks instead of avatars. It makes the place seem a little deserted. I've been aware of the site for a long time though, and appreciate the form and would like it to be a top choice.

Maybe a general email could even go out to sellers who need avatars and banners? I think it may be the right approach to offer help - many may have no idea how. Having a couple of people who offer graphics as a business would really improve participation, too, I think.

There's at least one here who offers avatars and banners, and she's terrific at it.

I've often been tempted to private message sellers through their shops and tell them, "Look, you're not going anywhere without an avatar, banner, shop description, item descriptions, and non-blurry, non-yellowed, awful photos!"  That doesn't even take into account the misspellings, which both look unprofessional and don't help you get found in searches for an item!

But then I think they'll get defensive, not listen, and I'll just be known as a know-it-all b**tch.  Which I probably am, but at least I'd like to be a helpful know-it-all b**tch.  Y'know?

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 07:07:06 AM »
I have often thought the same thing Larissa. People can get really "weird" about getting advice. I also agree that it is off putting to see so many blanks when looking through the lists of vendors. It looks terrible. I just don't understand how people think they are going to sell anything with little to no effort.    :-\

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 07:20:11 AM »
Agreed, it drives me nuts.
We are a little way away from doing this, but I would like to have emails go out to new sellers automatically to help them fill out there profiles, avatars, banners, policies, etc. It shouldn't be that big of a deal to do. Just waiting for the new site to be complete. Which is a totally different story.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 06:48:37 PM »
Just waiting for the new site to be complete. Which is a totally different story.   

This doesn't have a good ring to it at all. :(

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 05:12:22 AM »
Just waiting for the new site to be complete. Which is a totally different story.   

This doesn't have a good ring to it at all. :(

I agree, how many years has this now been in the works..... :)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 07:47:20 AM »
it has probably been almost 2 years trying to get the new site done.
I'm as frustrated as everyone else.
We fired a developer, hired one they quit because they were a flake, rehired the first one again, fired them, and now on another one. They are doing well, just have been having some stumbling blocks. It will eventually get done, just want the core code to be right.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 11:11:54 AM »
Larissa,   just go on being yourself.....    flake, know  it all b....  or  whatever else you choose to be.   You are doing fine.   Just don't let a stranger  get close enough to hit you.    I personally prefer the straight forward way of saying and doing things....    then  we all know where we stand.   You are doing fine  and I, for one  appreciated the  info I glean from your posts.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18