Author Topic: Merry Christmas  (Read 22101 times)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Merry Christmas
« on: December 02, 2014, 08:10:47 AM »
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from our house to yours!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:13:21 AM by trusk4u »

myeuropeantouch

Re: Merry Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »
TERESA !!!  I assume this is your house.....way out there, way to go....
I could not even imgagining doing that elaborate purdy display.........

Wishing you the same..... :D

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 10:31:34 AM »
That is adorable!  I love Christmas lights but we haven't managed to unpack them yet this year....hopefully this weekend we will get our house all lit up.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 11:11:27 AM »
Wow, you did a beautiful job with the decorations!  One of my favorite things during this season is to take a night to drive around & look at all the lights.  We did it when I was a kid, and it's one of those things that's never left me.

Eric & I don't do outdoor decorations, just a tree & menorah, but I love seeing other people's.

This year, we got a live tree.  It's out front in a pot & Eric's going to make a pretty wooden planter box for it.  We'll bring it in a couple days before Christmas & decorate it, then bring it back out & plant it in the yard... then each year we'll dig it back up & bring it back in, then replant it outside until it's too big for the house & we'll get another.  We figure it'll be nice to have a row of our Christmas trees through the years along the side of the yard.

Now I just need to find my menorahs.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 03:10:54 PM »
Yes, this is our front yard and my husband likes to go crazy for Christmas. I do the inside and it's much more subdued. I'm more into the "less is more" these days.
Although I am not even remotely Jewish, I love Menorahs. They vary so much in style and I love what they symbolize. It might be something to consider starting to collect.  :-[

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 03:43:36 PM »
You could probably find some great old ones out there, and there's nothing wrong with having candelabras around.  The six-armed ones (three on each side of the middle candle) are regular menorahs (just candelabras) & the 8-armed ones (plus the middle) are chanukiahs, the ones that are appropriate for Chanukah.  Just so you know when you see them.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 05:34:34 AM »
Aren't we all stemming from the root of David? That is why I have a menorah on my  buffet.....8 arms, plus middle....I even order my candles from Israel.

Guess I have the menorah also to honor my Mom......who assisted her Jewish employer and family at the start of the Holocaust....

Well, anywho, I have it and its pretty, since I thought for the longest time that I was Jewish, until I was send to Confirmation Class..... ;D :laugh:

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 07:50:42 AM »
Aren't we all stemming from the root of David? That is why I have a menorah on my  buffet.....8 arms, plus middle....I even order my candles from Israel.

Guess I have the menorah also to honor my Mom......who assisted her Jewish employer and family at the start of the Holocaust....

Well, anywho, I have it and its pretty, since I thought for the longest time that I was Jewish, until I was send to Confirmation Class..... ;D :laugh:

Personally, I feel that we are all related in some way no matter our faith, color, etc. I've been told that I am an "enlightened person" for this belief. People are people, period. And thanks for the info Larissa. I already kind of knew that because I had a boss who was Jewish who decided to start practicing his faith again. All of us employees chipped in and we got him a beautiful silver 8 arm Menorah. He was petty floored by it. He was a really nice man.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:53:34 AM by trusk4u »

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 08:04:30 AM »
Lovely Teresa.
I have no idea what we are going to do outside at the new house, it will be our first year.  So really not sure, I don't even think I have enough ladder to reach everything yet. Who knows, I'm sure we'll do something though.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 10:36:47 AM »
Teresa, that was so nice of you!  Those things can be expensive!  And beautiful.

Monika, every time you talk about your history in Germany, it makes me chuckle.  I love that your upbringing was so mixed like that.  And if your mom was still around, I'd have you thank her for me.  My grandparents lost their entire families in the Holocaust.

Coincidentally, my Film Club movie this month is "Life is Beautiful," so I got it from the library and Eric & I watched it last night.  I hadn't seen it since it was in the theaters in the early '90s.  I cried and cried.  I'm tearing up right now thinking about it.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack a "Merry Christmas" thread with sadness.  Suffice it to say that all people ARE related, whether you believe in the Bible and Q'uran, evolution, or both.  And even with the different religions all over the world, there are common threads among them all, and the same basis in every single one - BE NICE.  So a little reminder in the form of some light and joy during the shortest days of the year when we could all be in a funk instead, is a really cool thing.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
  Anyway, I don't want to hijack a "Merry Christmas" thread with sadness.  Suffice it to say that all people ARE related, whether you believe in the Bible and Q'uran, evolution, or both.  And even with the different religions all over the world, there are common threads among them all, and the same basis in every single one - BE NICE.  So a little reminder in the form of some light and joy during the shortest days of the year when we could all be in a funk instead, is a really cool thing

Yes!!! A million times over!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 07:01:22 AM »

Monika, every time you talk about your history in Germany, it makes me chuckle.  I love that your upbringing was so mixed like that.  And if your mom was still around, I'd have you thank her for me.  My grandparents lost their entire families in the Holocaust.

Well, I send up a lil prayer. When I was still living in Palm Coast, Florida, I participated every year in the reading of names of lost ones in the Holocaust at the local Synagogue. I think with my being German I was the only one who could really pronounce the names correctly compared to my fellow American readers.... :) :)

Was interviewed by the local Newspaper about my Mom and what she did, I still have the Newspaper clips. See, not everyone in Germany was in favor of what was going on, not everyone was a "bad person". Many had no choice for ANGST of their own life's and that included my parents.
Also these camps back then were in rural area's, deep in the country and woods, of the plain folks, no one knew exactly what was going on. Of course these days with the growing population these camps are now, some of them, part of a city.

Didn't mean to Hijack this thread.....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:05:21 AM by myeuropeantouch »

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 11:27:10 AM »
I love it when Americans try to pronounce my father's name (Pinchas).  He goes by Perry at work because no one can say it properly.

And don't think I think all 1939-1945 Germans were bad; I know that many helped... and that many of the ones who didn't were simply terrified for their own lives and families.  They can't be faulted for that.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 05:40:03 PM »
Thank you Larissa..... :)