Author Topic: Etsy Forum Muting for Mentioning Handmade Artists  (Read 2483 times)

Offline InitialImpressions

• Peg Bowles, Initial Impressions
    • View Profile
    • Initial Impressions
Etsy Forum Muting for Mentioning Handmade Artists
« on: September 28, 2014, 04:31:53 PM »
I answered a direct question on the etsy forum and mentioned Handmade Artists.  I got muted by the Etsy Control Police - and so I can't post there for 7 days.

I see it as a form of civil disobedience and pushing back against heavy handed control of the etsy admin.  I am kind of proud of myself, actually.

It is no great loss from my perspective because the folks at the etsy forum need me a whole lot more than I need them!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Etsy Forum Muting for Mentioning Handmade Artists
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 05:51:44 AM »
Etsy needs to relax. For crying out loud there paranoia is down right embarrassing.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 08:46:22 AM »
Since Etsy is  a well known place to  sell, and  more people know about them  I fail to see  why they consider HAF  such a big threat.   I suppose that is a good thing.   Their behavior is borderline crazy.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline InitialImpressions

• Peg Bowles, Initial Impressions
    • View Profile
    • Initial Impressions
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:53:44 AM »
I did sort of chuckle about it.

That is the one thing I dislike most about etsy.  The admin is so seriously into control - I find it almost un-American.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:56:45 AM »
Again?  Goodness, they seem to go in spits and spurts with this.  Sometimes you can mention other places and then one day they have a hissy and start the muting again.  Sorry you got muted, but please know that you are in VERY good company!  I think there are MANY, myself included, that have been muted or just shut down for speaking up.  Welcome to the club!

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 06:58:38 PM »
It seems that the drama never ends over there.  I have not been there for ages.  They are so paranoid that the sellers will find out about the better places to sell. :)

Offline Roziespearls

• Newborn & Toddler Bracelets
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 12:25:44 PM »
It's been a very boring day and this just cracks me up. I think Etsy forum is a big waste of time.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
I just read your  entire post about the  7 day muting.  Do you have to go to court or pay a fine?   Maybe they work out of Juvvy  court.   Soooooooo childish!!!!
What  ever happened to freedom of speech.   Isn't that one of the big four?
Tell all your friends......
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline LadyVampSal

• Art Is Life---Love Art
    • View Profile
    • https://handmadeartists.com/shop/LadyVampSal
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 03:49:21 AM »
To mute someone is mean. :(  I like the website---seems like they get a lot of traffic and sales.  So I wonder why the forum on there would be so insecure?  Is out of sight--out of mind?  Business is so cutthroat at times.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
To mute someone is mean. :(  I like the website---seems like they get a lot of traffic and sales.  So I wonder why the forum on there would be so insecure?  Is out of sight--out of mind?  Business is so cutthroat at times.

They long ago left their mission statement regarding supporting handmade artists.  When they got more focused on the investment money than the artists themselves the forums became ridiculously paranoid and it has only gotten worse with time.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 08:40:02 AM »
  They long ago left their mission statement regarding supporting handmade artists.  When they got more focused on the investment money than the artists themselves the forums became ridiculously paranoid and it has only gotten worse with time.

I totally agree. They are beyond belief and I get so frustrated when I read articles about selling handmade and they are the ONLY place that is mentioned. As for me, I finally just closed my account there altogether. I had kept it open "just in case" but with recent events there I decided that enough is enough.

Good for you Peg for speaking up !

Offline TXGulfCoastCreations

• Beautifying the world 1 handcrafted item at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »
 :laugh: Thanks for making me laugh, Marty! It's amazing how immature some can be. IMO the handmade community should work together and promote everyone, as well as the community, artists, and processes. Many there don't seem to feel that way, though.

I just read your  entire post about the  7 day muting.  Do you have to go to court or pay a fine?   Maybe they work out of Juvvy  court.   Soooooooo childish!!!!
What  ever happened to freedom of speech.   Isn't that one of the big four?
Tell all your friends......