Author Topic: What makes you happy?  (Read 7496 times)

Offline TXGulfCoastCreations

• Beautifying the world 1 handcrafted item at a time
    • View Profile
What makes you happy?
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:48:20 AM »
I'm happy because I was able to purchase this:

I grew up in the area, and heard her name all my life. We would stop in the local Fannie Farmer shop for candy treats when we were children, so this evokes happy memories for me. I enjoy cooking, and cookbooks, so I'm happy I found this and was able to buy it.

What makes you happy?

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: What makes you happy?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »
Nice cookbook lucky you!
What makes me happy? Waking up everyday, my husband, my kids and especially my Granddaughter, my dogs, sales, cooking and baking, nice days, snow,. I could go on and on. I guess I'm just a generally happy person.  :)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 10:04:48 AM »
Hi Teresa, YES, so many different things, and feel free to expound here! Thanks, I can't wait to get it. I'd like to have more room for books (and everything else), but I go through sometimes and cycle favorites in and out, for accessibility. That one will be on display, with some other cookbooks, by the kitchen. It really doesn't take much to make me happy either. I have so many interests, especially the water, nature, animals, etc. So many have been going through difficulties lately, I posted this to see what others like, because sometimes hearing what others enjoy reminds us of forgotten interests/pleasures.

Nice cookbook lucky you!
What makes me happy? Waking up everyday, my husband, my kids and especially my Granddaughter, my dogs, sales, cooking and baking, nice days, snow,. I could go on and on. I guess I'm just a generally happy person.  :)

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 11:22:07 AM »
Now, breathing and waking up.  In the past, when a child would run across the yard screaming "DADDY!"  I do get a similar feeling when a grandchild does the same thing, screaming "Papa"  Or just on Tuesday, when Colton told his mother he wanted to go back to Papa's.  He had just spent 2 weeks as our guest.
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »
Yes, I understand that, we definitely adjust as we get older/encounter challenges. Haha re: him leaving. They do take a lot out of us. I don't have children/grandchildren, but my nieces sure wore me out when they were young, my Sister had 3 right in a row, and they were a handful.

Now, breathing and waking up.  In the past, when a child would run across the yard screaming "DADDY!"  I do get a similar feeling when a grandchild does the same thing, screaming "Papa"  Or just on Tuesday, when Colton told his mother he wanted to go back to Papa's.  He had just spent 2 weeks as our guest.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 12:35:07 PM »
I was able to get some findings and beads sorted, that makes me happy!

Also, things like this, every time, without exception, make me happy:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202358037126008

Offline LOVEwhatIdo

• View Profile
    • LOVEwhatIdo
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 03:18:44 PM »
That's a great find! Fanny Farmer had some great candy in their shop! Used to buy their licorice when I was a kid.
What makes me happy is seeing my family happy. That's my goal.  :-*

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 10:27:59 AM »
There's still one candy in particular that I miss, need to find a recipe for it. Pastel colored mints that melted in your mouth, so yummy.

I love the beach, might go there later :).

That's a great find! Fanny Farmer had some great candy in their shop! Used to buy their licorice when I was a kid.
What makes me happy is seeing my family happy. That's my goal.  :-*

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 01:42:22 PM »
I LOVE  THOSE THINGS!!!!
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 12:15:19 PM »
The Mint meltaway things? I'll share the recipe if I find the right one...I've never found them anywhere else!

I LOVE  THOSE THINGS!!!!

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »
What makes me happy?  Hmmmm. loads of things, beading, writing, reading, quiet time, my grandsons belly laugh, a good homebrewed cafe mocha on my deck first thing in the morning before anyone else is moving around.  Now not necessarily in this order of course, and as all of you there are many more but most anything makes me happy.

What would make me happy?  To hug my son again.

I looked at my recipes and this is the one I have been using for years.  My mother had a great one and this one is so close as to have no recognizable differencs. We did not use molds, just rolled into small ball with a couple quick movements and then pinched the top almost like a hershey kiss shape

Butter Creme Mints

Makes:90 Candies

4 T butter, softened
3 T sweetened condensed milk
4 cups Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp spearmint flavoring
2 drops green food coloring or color of choice
granulated sugar
Rubber Candy Molds

Blend softened butter and condensed milk together. Gradually add powdered sugar
 until mixture becomes stiff.  Add flavoring and coloring a little at a time to reach desired color and taste.

Roll into small balls. Roll balls into granulated sugar. Press ball into candy mold. Unmold at once.
Makes about 90 candies.

For use later:
Quick freeze on a cookie sheet. Place between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container. Better when made ahead a week or two.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 02:29:51 PM »
Sounds yummy!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 03:28:18 PM »
What makes me happy...hm.....so, so many things some take for granted, I cant name them all....
Waking up on the green side of the grass..... ;) :D
Making other's happy sharing my joy with my fellow humans, a touch that someone didn't expect to get, a hug I can give and it is graciously received with surprise on someone's face, a Butterfly on the hood of my car, when I am ready to go and it makes me watch first....and be still....
the feeling of warm sunshine on my skin, the sound of the ocean, the water on my skin either in the pool or ocean, the buoyance....
Kitty cats..... who come and love me, just because, watching a bird sailing across the  sky..... oh, y'all just don't have enough time for all my happiness.....

Go make someone happy..... :) ;D :D

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 01:04:52 PM »
Love it! Nature always lifts my spirits. I'm hoping to make it to the beach for a bit this week. I'm thrilled that I was able to replace the blind in my bedroom for a beautiful roman shade, yay! And, I'll be talking to my Mom later, that's always nice. Hope everyone's having a nice day.

What makes me happy...hm.....so, so many things some take for granted, I cant name them all....
Waking up on the green side of the grass..... ;) :D
Making other's happy sharing my joy with my fellow humans, a touch that someone didn't expect to get, a hug I can give and it is graciously received with surprise on someone's face, a Butterfly on the hood of my car, when I am ready to go and it makes me watch first....and be still....
the feeling of warm sunshine on my skin, the sound of the ocean, the water on my skin either in the pool or ocean, the buoyance....
Kitty cats..... who come and love me, just because, watching a bird sailing across the  sky..... oh, y'all just don't have enough time for all my happiness.....

Go make someone happy..... :) ;D :D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 11:34:19 AM »
Dramatic sky this morning at the beach, was very nice and relaxing.