Author Topic: Clsoing my shop  (Read 3006 times)

Offline beadwizzard

• View Profile
Clsoing my shop
« on: June 05, 2014, 05:38:01 PM »
Hello,

I wish to close my account and my shop I have here on Handmade Artists, Holiday Earrings.  I have tried a bunch to keep it up to date but without an easy transfer for listings from one place to another (etsy to here as I sell well on Etsy),  I just can't do them both manually.  I have over 300 items here and have only sold 7 items over 3 years. Just not worth my time or fees anymore. And it's been a very long time since a new site was promised and it's still not done. 

Thanks you for all of your hard work, it just isn't working for me at this time like Etsy does.

Regards,
Phyllis Barber
beadwizzard@holidaybeader.com
BeadWizzard

myeuropeantouch

Re: Clsoing my shop
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 05:51:52 PM »
Phyllis, really sorry to see you go....really.....

However, I see in 3 years you had 29 comments here on Handmade Artists. I have not seen you in promoting your shop or others in the Pinterest, Blog, Twitter Rings, Facebook features, I have not seen you create a Highlight, similar to a treasury - that we do here, Thursdays Chat, and so much more....you must know you have to promote and share your shop everywhere aside from the fact that the owners here have promoted your items to the thousands. BUT - just like when E started, you have to work hard and do your part if you wish to be successful! If you don't do nothing, well - you wont sell, is that simple.

Said my peace, wish you the best... :) very glad you are selling on E successfully....

Btw, I have had over 28 sales in a 2.5 years, 18 showing up here, the rest contacted me thru here.....so what did I do different, I have been active with over 5500 posts....
participate, promote and share everywhere....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 05:57:21 PM by myeuropeantouch »

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 05:58:11 PM »
Phyllis,
All you need to do is cancel your payments on paypal. Once your subscription has expired we'll automatically demote your shop to a buyers account.
Hope that helps.
There has been some hangups on the new site, we do the best we can do with what we have. Enjoy

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 07:45:51 PM »
Well, that makes sense, considering your Facebook announcement starts with "Welcome to http://bead wizzard.etsy.com" and lists your Etsy, private, & Zibbet shops in "about," but not HandmadeArtists.  Your twitter lists beadwizzard.com and all your tweets regarding your products are for those in your Etsy shop, as far back as I looked.  Your spring sale was in your Etsy shop, as advertised on twitter.  And all your pins of your own products are from Etsy or your private site.  Not a single one from HandmadeArtists.

So yeah, it makes sense.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 04:43:57 AM »
Thanks Larissa, what a research you have done.....(smile)

(needs to be said)

Can't come here, don't do nothing and then complain. I personally am tired of hearing this.

Offline beadwizzard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 01:28:51 PM »
WOW!  I was Not complaining, I was just asking to close for whatever reasons I listed and many many more that are my Own Personal Business.  I find these replies to be so negative that I am in tears.

I used to read the forums regularly, I don't find many of them to reply or respond to. I can't bring all my products over except individually and that was rough. I have never figured out how to do a Highlight and I don't do them on the other site either.I used to do all those things people mentioned, or at least tried but with working a full time job and running several online places, but I just don't have the time, so I am cutting my losses and going down to one place to be found. 

Thanks for the years, I do hope everyone does great and has continued success!!!

phyllis :(

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »
Phyllis,
I think some of our members might of read into what you said a bit. The fact is, so many come here from etsy and do absolutely nothing to help their shop, they complain about no sales and leave. I've personally have gotten frustrated with it myself. If people put have the effort to promote their work here that they do on etsy they would be successful. But they don't, complain and leave.
So I think there was just some venting from some of our members here and nothing personally directed.
It has been a tough build here sometimes, many of us have personally put in a lot of hours promoting this site. I've featured members and can't even get them to comment on their feature, sometimes it feels that people are just ungrateful.
Sorry you're upset, hope you understand where the frustration came from.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 01:45:58 PM »
Whoa!  I know I've got an exceptionally thick skin in most instances, but I don't see anything tear-worthy.  I certainly didn't intend to bring you to that state, and if I did, I'm sorry.

I'm not even upset at you and hope you stick around as a buyer/poster in the forums.

I just took a look around at your promotional efforts, realized they were 95% aimed at your Etsy shop, 5% aimed at your personal shop, and 0% aimed at your HAFshop and commented that it made sense that you had so few sales here.  It's the truth.

I also want to make it clear for lurkers and lookers-on that your lack of sales is not due to the venue but to your own focus being elsewhere.  That's your business decision, and it's totally fine.  But your discussion thread stays here long after you've gone on your merry way and is readable by the public.  If it's not clear how this all went down, your post honestly just makes it look like "HAF sucks, Etsy is better, I want to close my shop."  Meanwhile, the reality is that you really can't compare your experience with each because you didn't treat each equally, so that needs to be made clear to those in the future who may see this & not know what happened here.

Any which way, I hope you have a very lucrative future & that you do stick your head in once in a while to say hi.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 02:12:48 PM »
Neither was it my intention to bring you to tears, Phyllis....these were just facts, as stated.
And if one does not have the time to put the hours in necessary to make a shop successful, then one needs to cut down. But that is not what I read in your post. 

Wishing you success, as I did before and don't be a stranger ....

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 02:14:30 PM »
I  think the best thing to do when one wants to close a shop is  just to close it.  Nobody really needs or expects an explanation.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »
To all my HAF/HAS friends who responded to the OP's very negative opinion post about us.  You all were very correct in showing the facts.  HAF/HAS is a high standard small venue that is managed by two people who support us and continually respond to our needs and concerns.  I also agree with the comment, if you want to leave, just do so.  When I left ETSY and ARTFIRE, I just left.  BTW, both still send me emails about my account inactivity.  I wish the OP the best in that big pond.  Everyone, have a great weekend, I will be doing my blog ring post this weekend.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline Bluerosedreamer

• Gather ye Lords and Ladies fair......
    • View Profile
    • Blue Roses Dreaming
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 08:43:39 AM »
I'm sorry to see the OP go, but the responses have been a help to me. I've been trying to get both my Etsy shop and this one promoted and sometimes the sites I'm on make it difficult, because they only allow for one web address.

What I did do this week, and will be doing in the future, since it worked well, is I posted a picture of an item I was working on, on Facebook. Someone showed interest, so I created a reserve listing for them here instead of listing the item on Etsy. So I now have one sale here and people who follow me on Facebook know I'm here as well as Etsy.

It worked once for me, so I'm going to try it again and see if lightening strikes twice.

I'm hoping to eventually shut down my Etsy site, since it gets a bit complicated sometimes, so right now I'm learning the ropes around here and trying to get more involved and push a bit more. I've actually taken notes on some of the comments here so that I have some ideas for the future.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 09:56:38 AM »
What I did do this week, and will be doing in the future, since it worked well, is I posted a picture of an item I was working on, on Facebook. Someone showed interest, so I created a reserve listing for them here instead of listing the item on Etsy. So I now have one sale here and people who follow me on Facebook know I'm here as well as Etsy.

It worked once for me, so I'm going to try it again and see if lightening strikes twice.

This is a stellar idea!  I love it!

And I think it's also a "no one wants to be first" syndrome.  No one wants to buy from a shop that's got zero sales.  As soon as you find a way to break through and make that first sale, you'll draw more.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 09:58:33 AM »
What a fab idea...love it....wishing you boat loads of sales.... :D

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 12:14:32 PM »
I feel like I'm late to the party but I did show up.
Sounds to me like the OP was juggling multiple online venues all at the same time. That can be really tough even for the most organized person. At one point I was listing on 4 different places and let me tell you, it's enough to make you crazy. :-\
I do agree that equal attention must be given to each venue one is selling on in order to make an accurate statement of each ones value. And even then, you have to consider what you get out of the site besides sales.
I do wish her well with her Etsy shop and wherever else she chooses to sell. I just hope she puts in the time for each of them, or at least cuts it down to a manageable number.