Author Topic: I may have to go back to work.....anyone here with a dayjob?  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Myfibernook

• View Profile
I may have to go back to work.....anyone here with a dayjob?
« on: April 04, 2014, 04:54:42 AM »
Hello,

I've been struggling with the idea of going back to the "real world" to pay off some bills and take care of other areas in my life that will cost money.  It is difficult to get a business started-and I just have been struggling with for about six months.

I know I *could* make handmade work if I give it 100% and really got busy promoting and going to shows, but I just don't know if I could make it work fast enough and right now I would really like to have more money coming in, but it is hard to give up so much of my "free time-create time" and just not have the time left over to pursue my art.

But then I think when I was young (younger) I used to go to college full time and have a full time job too.  How did I do it?

Anyone out there struggling with this....needing to go back to work, but not really wanting to-just wanting to do what you love?  Anyone making it work with a dayjob too?

Rhonda

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
Re: I may have to go back to work.....anyone here with a dayjob?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »
I have a day job with a workaholic boss. :(  I never could make it with just the business at this time.  It was something to supplement getting no raises at work (still none) and to get something established for "retirement."  It still does not pay for itself, but I am hoping it will eventually.  For now, I do what I can with the time I have, but that is very limited, so creation comes more slowly.

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 10:25:37 AM »
I have a small part-time job as a library page (minimum wage and only 18 hours a week, but it's something) that supplements what I make with my business.  My jewelry business is to where I can drop my part-time job yet, but it is growing.  Last year my business income was nearly equal with that of my part-time job, so I'm getting hopeful/praying it won't be too much longer until I'm able to drop the part-time job.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 05:48:18 PM »
It is tough to live on handmade alone, you really need to get a big name for yourself. The best thing unfortunately is to get a real job and do this as a hobby. I know it is tough, but building a crafting business takes time. So if you can do both, the real job should support you while you are building your business on the side with the hopes that one day you can support yourself with your art.

Offline nellielaan

• Beadwear
    • View Profile
    • nellielaan.weebly.com
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:43:09 AM »
I used to do knitwear and craft and boutique shows when my son was little and I was hurt following an accident. But little by little I started to work more at a day job, first part time, and when I had a full time opportunity I took it. It is less stressfull knowing the bills will be paid and it is not depending on customers and marketing. I have less energy and time for my craft, but it is nice to know I can make what I want and use it as a creative outlet. Now I make jewelry because it does not take as much time as knitwear.
My husband is a musician but works in transportation.
Nellie Laan Marcus

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 11:03:09 AM »
Done both, and now am working on the craft business/web sites full time.  Funny how now that I am working from home, I have less creative time somehow than when I was working full time!

Having the bills paid is a huge weight off emotionally so that you can concentrate on building your business without the same pressure to produce as when you sell your crafts full time so there are pluses to both....I guess what it comes down to is it is an individual choice we all have to make for ourselves.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »
I would have to agree, Andrew.  Unless you are a big name, you need another job.  I started out making an LLC for the business, but now I think I should have done things differently.  My state charges tax on all business property in addition to a hefty filing fee every year.  That really cuts into my business income.  After some experience selling online, I am thinking it might have been better to go with a sole proprietorship instead of the LLC since I don't get many sales anyway.  Has anyone changed the way their business is organized or stopped selling as a business and done it more like a hobby?  I do this part-time when I have time from my day job.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 12:39:09 PM »
You should be able to change your business format using forms from your state's Division of Taxation website.

I can't see ever giving up the day job.  In addition to the steady paycheck, they pay 100% of my health insurance, so that's huge.

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »
You should be able to change your business format using forms from your state's Division of Taxation website.

I can't see ever giving up the day job.  In addition to the steady paycheck, they pay 100% of my health insurance, so that's huge.
I agree. I sometimes think about the possibility of living off my craft, but then I think about health insurance lol...

Offline normasbathandbody

• View Profile
    • Norma's Bath and Body
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 08:45:23 PM »
I've been in business since 2004. it's HARD work and SWEAT. but you can make it. But last year was my worst year in Sales so I was forced to go back to the work Field. I work part time outside of the Home too.

Gotta do what ya gotta do! ;)

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 04:34:32 AM »
I guess I am fortunate, I retired from "work" three and a half years ago, so now I let the State of South Carolina pay my retirement check to me, add SS and I have my regular income.  So I can devote time to my handmade, as I want to.  Of course, I agree, if I only had my shop income, I would be the poster child for our local "Starving Artists Cafe" (yes, we actually have a small restaurant with that name).

john
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com