Author Topic: Embroidery - split project  (Read 3011 times)

Offline dutchkeeper

• View Profile
Embroidery - split project
« on: February 28, 2014, 09:55:01 PM »
Hi, a few months ago I mentioned on a blog that I had just been commissioned to do a split embroidery project.  A couple 'embroiderers' asked what that was.  So with Christmas coming and then a trip to my daughters where she gave me 'herself' back from a brain aneurysm.  Quite the Christmas spent in a neurology ICU for a week. Well, she's back and perfect.  Whew!  Best Christmas present ever!
So I just finished my project.  A fellow worker brought me a picture of a wall hanging. It's called An Indian Prayer.  You may have seen the prayer before.  I tried to make it as much like the picture as possible and also tried to make it as authentic looking as I could. 
I used a light weight duck with a patch of vinyl (looks like leather) with 2 embroidered feathers on each side hanging from a couple of conchos.  The verses and smoking peace pipe at the bottom are all embroidered*.  Antiqued with tea to make it look old. Add some natural looking rope from the fabric shop to hang it.  Check out the pictures. Hope you like it.
*This is for the "embroiderers'.  If you have made a design of your own on your embroidery machine before, this is the same.   Just enter all of your project on the design screen.  Yep it is way too small and looks ridiculous.  Then you click on the split project button and follow your machines' instructions from there.  It will place as much as your hoop can hold on as many screens as it takes to complete your project. There will be markers at the 4 corners of each screen and your material.  You match these up when placing the hoop for each of the successive screens or sections.  It took me a while to figure all of this out but when I started my project it turned out to be quite easy. 
Addicted to making homemade stuff!
Dutchkeeper

myeuropeantouch

Re: Embroidery - split project
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 05:52:59 AM »
THAT...is beautiful....they way it's made, the way it looks AND how this prayer is
read or said....
Thank you for sharing. :)

Offline jade

• A lover of everything handmade and unique
    • View Profile
    • A collection of unique handmade jewellery designs
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 07:56:23 AM »
This is beautiful not only the work but the sentiment behind the words
You can see all the time and the skill that has gone into creating this piece its lovely
Handmade jewellery designs http://www.jade-jewellery.co.uk/
Collection of handcrafted jewellery http://www.jade-jewellery.co.uk/category.php

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 11:56:37 AM »
That is something else!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 05:47:37 PM »
Both your story, the prayer and your work is beautiful! 

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 07:39:51 PM »
THAT...is beautiful....they way it's made, the way it looks AND how this prayer is
read or said....
Thank you for sharing. :)

I totally agree with Monika! this piece is nothing short of fabulous!

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:38:17 AM »
I admire your creativity in putting this together...not to mention your technical know-how! I just got a computerized sewing machine and I'm scared to death of it - and I've been sewing most of my life!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 02:18:16 PM »
Amazing work, thanks so much for sharing with us!