Author Topic: Making the most out of pictures  (Read 15016 times)

Offline ArtistLeSensual

• View Profile
Making the most out of pictures
« on: February 17, 2014, 01:15:30 PM »
 :) Hello, my name is Janette and I am the proud owner of Artist Le Sensual.  I am also a very creative jewelry maker, but when it comes to taking pictures to enhance my creations, I have struggled with from day one.  I would love to receive some tips and constructive advice on my site.  I have not made a sale yet and when I look at my store...I can see why.  :( Thanks for your help in advance...Blessings Janette

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: Making the most out of pictures
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 03:24:33 PM »
I am by NO means an expert on pictures! That being said, right off the bat your pictures are dark to me and sort of confusing. If you are going to use a dark background be sure there is NO lint and it is matte. Any shine from the fabric affects your pictures.  I used to use props like shells, flowers, rocks etc. in my pictures. I have stopped because it gave my shop an inconsistent look. Now it's a plain white background, and white everything else like necklace bust, etc. Mine still aren't fabulous, but they are pretty consistent. I'm sure others will chime in on this too. Good luck!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 06:55:20 PM »
It's true, some of your backgrounds are busy.  With detailed jewelry like you have, I'd stay away from any sort of texture or print in the background.  Stick with solid colors, like Teresa suggested.

Some are also *really* blurry.  I don't envy you, taking photos of jewelry is really hard.  I've tried it, and I hate it.  But better to not list something than to list it with bad photos.  You can get a lot of hits right away when you list something, so you want to make sure you're making the right impression. 

Honestly, if I were you, I'd invest in a light tent and a couple good lights.  They don't have to be that expensive; we got a basic set on sale and I use them for my Reef Botanicals photos.  Take a look and you'll see the difference.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 09:16:59 AM »
I'll give it a try....first thing I noticed is that like the others said, they are dark.  Your jewelry should shine and yours is coming across flat.  Definitely need brighter lights and you can also lighten in an editing program like photoshop or gimp to do touch ups.

Second thing I noticed, which is probably silly, is the date stamp.  Can you turn that off on your camera?  Silly, I know, but it really is the first thing my eyes went to.

Taking pictures is a work in progress.  I absolutely cringe at my first attempts to do product photography and still end up taking 100 pictures of any piece to get 4 good ones sometimes.  Keep working at it and they will improve.  There are a number of articles on our blog that deal with product photography that might give you a few more tips.